While only anecdotal, My 3 year old 1GB microdrive has not been babied for the most part. It was in a PDA in my laptop bag. Car trunk was near packed with the computer bag on top. Slammed trunk shut. Retrieved PDA later. LCD was cracked and it was inoperable. Microdrive still functions flawlessly and was used to restore new PDA of same model .

Tom C.

From: Frantisek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Tom C <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: CF card: normal or Microdrive?
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 14:55:30 +0200

Hello,

I think MDs can be pretty tough - friend has the first 1GB version from
IBM, purchased when it came out, and it still works after two DSLRs in
PJ environment. I think most HDDs have heads that automatically park in emergency
position when there is power interruption, and once that happened to
him. Thanks to this list we got a quick help, and the drive is still
working flawlessly.

With todays' DSLRs, 4GB-6GB cards are minimum for RAW files from e.g. D2X
or 1DSII, and the Pentax's upcoming 645D as well. Last time I checked,
the price difference in these sizes was more like 300$ MD compared to
600-900$ for the CF. And the drives are evolving similarly fast as
solid stage.

So in my opinion, they are a valid option.

Good light!
           fra