Scosh (or skosh) was picked up by American servicemen around the time of
the Korean War. It's derived from the Japanese word "sukoshi."  The first
recorded use of the word was in 1951. It remained a chiefly military term
through the 1950s and '60s, and spread into more mainstream usage in the
'60s and '70s.  I first heard it used in the spring of 1968 by a fellow I
met with whom I was working on a photography and printing project.

Shel