Paul,

I am just about where you are.  At this stage of what I do -
portraits, weddings, events, some sports and scenics, the *istD is
doing just fine.  The buffer thing gets in the way sometimes, but I
have to work around it the best I can.  Most everything else works
well enough for what I do.  I'm not a huge proponent of IS or AF - I
don't think that I would probably pay for an IS lens anyway.  Usually
I am in need of either lighter lenses or have moving subjects where
the IS is really of no help.  The amount of automation that I need is
more than present in the current *istD.

--
Best regards,
Bruce

pcn> Some very good points here Shel. Every time I think I might
pcn> want to switch to Canon, I remind myself that the *istD is
pcn> capable of doing everything I require at the moment. Yes, the
pcn> slow and small buffer is a minus, but that's about the only thing
pcn> that ever gets in my way. Some shooters do need certain high
pcn> technology features. I think the IS will pay off for Christian
pcn> who does a lot of nature photography. I do some nature
pcn> photography but primarily for amusement. So the challenge of
pcn> handholding a 400 without IS is part of the fun. I will move up
pcn> to a higher resolution Pentax with a faster, bigger buffer when
pcn> it comes along, but I'm quite happy with the way the current
pcn> camera performs.