It should be noted that there are different strengths of UV (Sometimes
called haze) filters, as there are skylight filters.  Tiffen, just for an
example,  has several UV filters that they offer:

UV Protector - Protects lens from dust, moisture, scratches, and breakage.

Haze 1 - Reduces excessive blue haze caused by UV light by absorbing 71% of
UV.  Recommended for all-around UV control.

Haze 2A - Absorbs all UV light; reduces haze; maintains color and image
clarity.  Best for high altitude and marine scenes.

UV 17 - Created for the photographer who wants to absorb most but not all
UV light.  It absorbs slightly less UV light than the Haze 2A.

Warm UV - combines the benefits of the UV 17 with the Tiffen 812 Color
Warming Filter for added warmth.

Other companies may have similar variations in their filter lineup.  B+W
has several variants of the UV or Haze filter.  In some situations the
"minus blue" filter may be a better choice for eliminating the blue found
at high altitudes and in other environments, but not all companies make
such a filter, which is a yellow filter that falls within a particular
range.  Not every yellow filter has the same characteristics.

One B+W "UV" filter is the KR6, which is suited for daylight with a high
percentage of blue (midday in the mountains during the summer), and which
is recommended for color film.used in situations where an extreme blue tone
is to be expected. Not only does it block ultraviolet light and reduce blue
tones in the shade, but it also penetrates light fog.

The bottom line is that it's easy to slap a UV filter on your lens and
believe you're getting a certain result, such as the results provided by
some of the above and similar filters.  Unfortunately, many people believe
a UV filter is a UV filter, or that all skylight filters are the same.
Such is not the case, and the clever photographer chooses his or her filter
with careful thought to the desired results.

As for cleaning Multi-Coated filters, the two best cleaners that I;ve come
across are the ones sold by The Filter Connection (I think it's their MC
formula) and the cleaner sold by ClearSight.  Both do a remarkable job with
no streaking or leaving of residual haze or film, as another perennial
favorite, ROR, cab do if not carefully applied.

Shel

UV
> filter or Skylight is truly valuable for it's optical effect. I think
> there's a tendency to view these filters as merely being protective, but
> they will actually improve sharpness, cut haze, and help color saturation
> when shooting outdoors, particularly if you are shooting distant
subjects,
> in bright sun, in situations with high humpty, dust, or smog.
>
> I don't know why, but I've found cleaning multicoated filters (Pentax,
Hoya,
> and Sigma EX) to be very difficult. Maybe because you can rotate it and
> really examine the glass, and any little imperfection is more apparent.
I've