On Jun 19, 2005, at 6:23 AM, David Savage wrote:

US$600 (AU$770) isn't expensive Marnie. At work we have a piece of
software that cost about AU$15000 (and that was the cheaper
alternative, the full on software was about AU$100 000).

I'd guess that it's something CAD-related. That stuff is really expensive.

A lot of the "serious" software these days is leased on a yearly basis. At work, the guys have taken out 1-2 month licenses on computational fluid dynamics packages. When you get into that kind of stuff you certainly don't argue about the cost of the computer it's running on: you just buy the biggest, baddest box you can fit under the desk.

Cheers,

- Dave

http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/