On Jun 18, 2005, at 11:20 PM, David Savage wrote:

It's just like Bob said, I use a PC because it's what I use at work.

I think it's more than just that.

A lot of people also consider:

1) Most people know at least a couple of computer whiz-kids who know Windows back-to-front. So they know they can call on free support if necessary. This is far less likely with a Mac. This is regardless of how much support may or may not be required. People have become conditioned to unusable and unreliable software so they do expect it to fail.

2) All their friends also have PCs so they can "share" software. Nevermind uhhh "borrowing" software from work. As an aside, one package we use at work is licensed to the actual person who uses it. So technically I can install it on as many machines of any platform that's supported, as long as I'm the only one who uses it. This is what all commercial software licensing should be like.

2a) If they already have a Windows machine, all their current software is basically toast. And what about importing all of their emails and bookmarks?

3) When someone tries out a Mac in the shop, it makes them feel uncomfortable because it's unfamiliar. It took me about two weeks to become fully confident in working this thing. So five minutes of playing in a showroom isn't going to help.

4) Games. We know that we justify getting a computer for the kids' homework, research etc. But we all know what they end up actually being used for. The Mac typically comes somewhere after PS2, XBox and Wintel. The latest craze is yesterday's news by the time your kids can play it.

5) Dollars and Gigahertz. You still get a bigger number for your dollars when you buy from Dell, regardless of how cheap the bottom- end Mac is, and how much more or less efficient it might be. People love great design but when it comes to the crunch it's always the dollars that talk the loudest.

A computer is a tool, and whether it's running XP, OSX, Linux etc.
they can all produce the end result.

Spot on. The best tool for a particular purpose is the one that gets in the way the least. That does of course vary by both individual and application. Many people run different OSes for different purposes.

Cheers,

- Dave

http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/