On Jun 19, 2005, at 12:51 AM, Scott Loveless wrote:

The upcoming "merger" with Intel (iNtel inside?) will allow Apple to
take advantage of less expensive commodity hardware, which in turn
should allow them to be even more competitive.

I don't agree. Macs already use standard PC memory, standard SATA disks, standard AGP video cards, standard ports and standard PCI-X expansion slots (in PowerMacs).

The chipset they end up using on their Intel boards remains to be seen - for all we know it might be custom, regardless of what it was they put into those developer machines.

So I don't see prices suddenly becoming equivalent to PCs. They're certain to drop as volumes increase. The biggest difference they could make down here is to improve the distribution network. There are too many pairs of hands all adding their margins. Unfortunately they're not quite adding enough to make it worth a trip to LA ;)

Cheers,

- Dave

http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/