On Jun 19, 2005, at 8:46 PM, Scott Loveless wrote:

One of my tentative requirements is that the bag open either to the
side or away from me.  I've really grown to dislike bags that open
toward me.  I'm a little rounder than most and find myself putting
just as much effort into keeping the bag open as changing lenses.

I'm not exactly built slim myself ... no cracks, Cotty! ;-)

One of the nice things about the Superlight 5 is that, even though the top hinges towards your body, it's very easy to flip it over the back of the bag and just leave the top of the bag completely open while you're changing lenses and or want quick access. I don't find it to get in the way at all.

If I were built like Knarf, this might not be so much of an issue.  I
also like bags I can wear on my belt (the shape of my shoulders makes
a strap uncomfortable for long periods of time).

I cannot wear a strap over one shoulder for even a few minutes. I sling the strap over my head so that I wear the bag on the left with the strap across my chest and back, going around the right side of my neck. I can do that all day with a properly shaped bag and a reasonable amount of weight.

Likely candidates are the Tamrac 5745 Velocity 5 and the F.64 FP waist
pack.  Other possibilities include the Lowepro Off Road and Stealth
Reporter, the Superlight 5, a handful of lightweight vests, and a
safari jacket.

They're all good bags. If you can find a store that has them in stock and handle them, compare them, that will be the surest way to select the one that will work for you.

Godfrey