mike wilson wrote:

> You must be living in a different country to me.  Are you on
> chalk?  We have a clay substrate here and it takes much
> longer for the rainwater to disperse, if it's not causing
> flash floods.

I can guide this back on topic to photography at this point, because in the
last ten years, it's almost as if I have moved to a different country. I
live in close proximity on two sides of Epping Forest and a big park to the
third. Up until about the start of the 90s, most of the forest was
surrounded in low lying areas by marshland, which easily swallowed even
severe storm water running off the hills. Nearly all of that land has been
built on now with a large private housing estate and a truly vast
warehousing operation. Added to that over this period, there has been a
demand for more and more off street parking and the culture of concreting or
wooden decking to gardens has quite changed the landscape - very much for
the worse - which is really what my main interest of photography is,
recording the changing face of the 'local' area. I rarely look at the
results over a period, because it's a picture of ugly urban sprawl, with no
redeeming features. Anyway, we did have a bad storm a few years back, which
for the first time ever, resulted in a serious flood a couple of miles away.
I expect if it really came down now over here it would cause major damage.
So there you are, instant local climate change.

Not that long ago a serious storm wouldn't have worried me at all.

> It's hissing down here at the moment.  I'm going to
> Manchester at the weekend. 8-)

LOL!

Malcolm