Not absolutely sure that will work, but I passed on buying a lens that
acted that way.  After rotating the lens to infinity and then
switching the camera to autofocus, the lens would rotate away from
infinity a tiny bit and emit an audible click.  After that, autofocus
would work.  I do have an F series zoom that does the same thing, but
I don't have to perform that procedure with it before using autofocus.
 Just a guess.

--
Scott Loveless
http://www.twosixteen.com

--
"You have to hold the button down" -Arnold Newman