In a message dated 6/27/2005 7:15:16 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
On 6/26/05, David Volkert  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't normally do street  photography (at least I think this can be
> considered street photography  but the lens is a bit on the large side
> and it was an event) but the  opportunity presented itself today.
>
>  http://flickr.com/photos/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/21768115/
> *Ist D, Sigma 135-400mm  @ 135mm, F/9.5, and 1/500th

Yesterday in my comments about the Porto shots, I mentioned that  using a
longer lens tends to get us into a sniper mood when we take to the  streets.

Now, I am definitely not an expert in Street Photography, and lots of what
passes for that "genre" I do not get, but before you dismiss the concept, maybe
 you should look at the problems of using a long lens on the streets have
caused  in this "nearly there" shot.

First of all, the horizon is tilted more than 2 degrees.  When working  with
a long lens, it is hard to make framing judgements, as the very act of
holding the glass steady is a triumph.

The next problem I see is that relying on the autofocus on the two dancers
has lost the focus on the foreground boy, (an important element, IMHO) and the
compression brings the folks walking in the near background right up to the
dancers.

In the case of the smiling woman, this isn't too much of a problem, but the
tall guy in the black shirt, the guy with his back to us, and the woman on the
 right verge become distracting elements (Ditto, the red fringe in right
frame.)  These elements would be no problem at all if we were shooting  with,
say
a 50mm from lots closer.

Long lenses have their place, certainly they do.  Football games, air  shows,
birding,  Olympics, auto racing, volcano eruptions, good looking  bikinied
women with big burley boyfriends;  these are all places I would  use a lens
longer than 90 mm.

Regards,
Sonny
http://www.sonc.com