On 6/27/05, P. J. Alling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Enforcing such a law would be problematic.  First there would have to be
> some definition as to what was legally a telephoto lens...

Defining a telephoto lens would be quite easy.  Choose a number.  "any
lens longer than 90mm (35mm equivalent, as applicable to other
photographic formats)".  If it's not in the law, all you need is
judicial interpretation.  A judge will either throw the law out due to
it's imprecision, or interpret "telephoto" and stick a number in that
will now follow the law around by legal precedent (that's all case law
is).

Of course, this California law we're talking about here was likely
passed as an Anti-Paparazzi or Anti-Stalking law (assuming it was ever
passed at all).  So one doubts that guys walking along Venice Beach
with a big lens would be harrassed by California's finest...

cheers,
frank