You can do a lot of photography with a 50 and a 135. I doubt you'll find any place to rent you a lens (heck, I'll give you an A35-70/4 to use if you want to stop in Sunnyvale on your way) ...

Trying to find a lens "wide enough to shoot a redwood" or "long enough to be handy for wildlife"? Well, you can shoot a redwood with a 400mm lens and take pictures of wildlife with a fisheye. It's all up to what kind of picture you want to make. I'd make the trip with whatever lenses you have at your disposal, see what you can see, be creative in their use, and then think after this trip about what might work better for what you couldn't achieve with that.

I'm serious about a loaner ... send me an email if you are interested.

Godfrey