To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 4:09 PM
Subject: Re: PESO - Herding Livestock

What is wrong with ring flash for this type of shot?

Jostein wrote:

http://www.oksne.net/paw/herdingants.html

Those little critters are hard to keep in focus when working hand held. It's pretty much hit and miss, and this is the best I've managed so far.

One particular problem with ants is that their hide is hard and shiny. With a bare flash, the highlights become specular and burned out. Using a miniature softbox lessen the problem, but it's not all gone. Does anyone know a good way to handle this without resorting to ring flashes?

Jostein