On Sun, 24 Jun 2001, Boris Beard wrote:

> The man asked me if I had any more lenses at home. Strange question, I
> thought. Then he added "this lens is too cheap for a magnificent camera
> like this"
> So - what should I be using with my LX to do it justice?

The LX is a nice and fancy body, but it's the lens that will make the
image.  The pancake may not be the sharpest lens in existence, but if
you're happy with the focal length and the quality of your photos then why
change?  I'm really turned off by equipment snobbery.  I think there are a
lost nicer and more constructive ways for him to let you know that he's
not a big fan of the optical qualities of your lens.  I might feel the
same as him if I saw, say, a Quantary lens on a Pentax body, but if I
mentioned anything to the photographer it would be about the specific
problems I've seen with that lens, coupled with a list of suggestions if
they were interested.  His response is too vague to get a handle on why he
disliked the 40/2.8 (price? performance? personal experience? hearsay?),
so to me it comes across more as snobbery than a legitimate desire to help
you improve the quality of your images.  Did he even ask you about your
opinions of the lens and what you like about it?

chris