From: Pål Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 6:25 PM
Subject: MZ-S + FA* 600/4 AF woes

> AF basically don't work with my MZ-S and the FA* 600/4. I have had
problems shooting birds with AF and I initially believed it was due to user
errors. However, this morning it failed again and as a result I tested AF w/
600/4 on various subjects. Basically, the camera only hunt in the 30m to
close focusing distance area (no focus limiter activated).  It actually
tries to focus closer than the close focusing distance again and again to
such an extent that it sounds like the motor will burn out. It also hunts in
descreet steps, of about2s duration, separated by aprox. 1s pauses. After
awhile it might start to hunt towards infinity but stop at approximatey 30m
before it again try the close focusing distance - this on an easy subject
for AF near infinity. When mounting the Z-1p on the lens it immediately hit
focus. Sometimes the MZ-S do find focus. I measured how long it took to
focus at infinity and it used 45s!!! AF with the MZ-S work great with all my
other lenses.

> My theory is that the lens is defective. The AF work well on the Z-1p
because the Z-1p AF system don't use distance information from the lens for
focusing while the MZ-S probably do. So I guess my 600/4 is out of alignment
so that it signalise to the camera that infinity focus is on the 30m mark on
the helicoid - hence it also tries to focus closer than the close focusing
distance because the camera isn't aware that the close focusing distance is
reached.