Well, so far, it is certainly unanimous that the second is better than
the first.  Shooting info on the second one:
Pentax *istD, DA 16-45/4, handheld, polarizer
ISO 200, 1/90 sec @ f/13, 26mm focal length
date/time: 6/16/2005 @ 2:16:09 pm

I do appreciate the feedback.  The polarizer was set to show as much
separation of cloud and sky as possible.  I don't know if that would
have an opposite effect on the plants, but I would guess that they
would gain the same benefit.  Perhaps it would have looked much worse
without the polarization?

--
Best regards,
Bruce