I've just got back from the Champ Car race weekend at Portland
(where I briefly met Gerald Cermak), which was the first opportunity
for me to use my MZ-S.

Initial impressions - the focus mode selection switch is a great
improvement over the PZ-1p; it's much harder to move it accidentally.
Unfortunately the ame is not true of several of the other switches;
stuffing the body into a fairly full soft-sided camera bag resulted
in (amongst other things) turning the camera on twice, and switching
from normal to self-timer mode once.

Film loading is different - you have to insert the cartridge the
other end first.

I don't find the placing of the shutter release button as natural
as either the PZ-1p or my M-series bodies (with or without winders).
But the button itself feels perfectly natural; the half-push for
autofocus gave me no problem.  The autofocus operation is very fast
when compared to my PZ-1p, and seemed far less prone to hunting.

The total exposure time on the MZ-S is noticeable longer than on
the PZ-1p; the viewfinder stays blanked out for what feels like
a very long time.  I presume that's the difference between 4.3fps
and 2.5fps.  It felt as though the exposure happened quite fast,
but it took a long time (relatively speaking) for the camera to
be ready for the next shot.  Operation is much quieter tnan the
PZ-1p, too - the shutter 'snicks' rather than clicking, and the
rewind was much, much quieter (although it did cause a very
noticeable vibration in the monopod).

I've yet to see the finished imges, but several of the shots I
attempted would have been impossible for the PZ-1p autofocus to
manage - continuous-focus tracking shots with a fast-moving car
sweeping across the frame (the PZ-1p would have focussed on the
car in the center of the frame, which wasn't necessarily the one
I wanted to be sharply in focus).

--
John Francis  .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .  (650) 429-4427
MyWay.com       444 Castro St.  Suite 101,    Mt. View,   CA  94041

Hello.  My name is Darth Vader.  I am your Father.  Prepare to die.