I was just wondering, what's the significance of viewfinder magnification?  I know
that since I am used to my MX and ME Supers, I found it quite hard to manually focus
on my friend's MZ-5n.  So my initial thought was that the bigger the better.  But then
I noticed that the LX officially has a smaller magnification than the MX.  In fact,
all Pentax cameras have smaller magnification than the MX.  So what's up?

Incidentally, according to the brochures on the Pentax USA website, the MZ-S has a
viewfinder magnification of 0.75x, where as that of the MZ-5n is 0.8x.

I've heard people complain that they can't see all of the viewfinder in the MX, and I
know I have to press the camera hard into my face so that I can see all of it.  But
why can't Pentax keep the same viewfinder magnification on the MX and just make the
rear window bigger?  Am I just being too naive here?

--
Francis Tang, Postgraduate Research Student, LFCS, Edinburgh.
Visiting: AG14, FB Mathematik, TU Darmstadt, Deutschland.