Many years ago (maybe 20?) I attended a professional golf tourney in a
nearby city.  Being fairly naive I toted my camera gear and proceeded to
start taking pictures.  WRONG!  After an extended chat with the tournament
officials, I left and put the gear back in the car.
  A few days later, I saw an ad for IFPO and sent them whatever the
membership was at the time -- under $20 if I remember correctly.  I got a
membership card and that's about it.  By the way my membership number was
somewhat less than 100, so I was among the very first to be bilked.
  I have picked up their magazine from time to time and from what I can
gather every member is a freelance photographer "on assignment" from the
magazine and they will write the appropriate letters for you to what ever
event you are wanting to cover.  And I also gather that most of the events at
which they are able to place people are relatively minor  -- haven't seen any
Super Bowl or World Cup coverage in the magazine to date.  BUT, if they can
get you in some place you otherwise couldn't, then maybe they are worth the
cost.  I believe a lifetime membership is just under $100.
  By the way, I did have a real press pass from a local publication for a
while and THOSE are really handy <G>

Robert