Surely if you know your camera, you can feel the gears
stripping themselves out. Then you can stop what
you're doing and wind the film back. I have never had
a problem with not getting an extra photo anyway, on
all my cameras SLR or non-SLR. And I have never
stripped the gears out. I think it is not so much the
length of the film as what you do with the start of
it. I never wind it on more than I need to before
closing the back. Just wind until you are sure it is
on the cogs properly. Then (on a manual wind only) you
can often sneak one photo in before your camera
actually says 1. A single wind-on is usually enough to
clear all the exposed film. Or you can do ˝ wind
before you close the back, and 1˝ after closing the
back.

Jody.