----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 12:36 PM
Subject: Re: Pentax Profits Fall 42%

OK, we've heard that they said that. I guess that means after the Optio 60 then... I'm not sure what they mean by three models. Three static models that never change with competition? Doesn't seem likely.

no more than three in the line at a time.

I think this is probably irrelevant. Losses are more important when compared to the income and capital of ones own business not to the operating budgets of others. If I have $1 millon dollars in the bank maybe I can afford to lose $100,000. If I only have $150,000 in the bank, the picture changes.

Pentax can't afford too much because the imaging products division accounts for about 40% of their revenue stream. life care and optical components are about equal. it's not a large company and unless shareholders have deep pockets, they are going to lose patience pretty quickly. as i said in another message, if Pentax didn't have an imaging products division, it would have been making steady money all these years. endoscopes used to be a cash cow for the company, but Olympus has really turned up the competition and Pentax is having a tough time holding onto market share. CD/DVD lens sales dropped a lot the year before and recovered last year, meaning that even though it's relatively safe, Pentax still has to keep on its toes.

Herb....