From: frank theriault [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 26. juli 2005 01:19
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: What inspired you?

On 7/24/05, Bob W <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I sent an email yesterday about Cartier-Bresson being inspired by
Munkacsi's
> photo of the boys running into the surf. I got to thinking about the photo
> which first made me aware of photography, and the first photographer whose
> name I actively sought out and remembered.
>
> In the early 1970s I was at boarding school, where we had the newspapers
> delivered every day. I remember seeing this photograph in, I think, the
> Sunday Times. I made a deliberate effort to memorise the photographer's
> name, and started to look out for more of his photographs:
> http://tinyurl.com/cn2sr.
>
> It made me aware that photography could be something beyond the prosaic. I
> still find this photograph very interesting, mysterious and inspiring.
>
> What photographs and photographers were your first inspiration?

Our high school library had Life Magazines, from the first one (was it
1936 or something like that?) to about the mid-50's, bound and hidden
on the shelves.  Between classes, I used to love going there to look
through them.  I think I learned more history from leafing through
them than I did in any history class.  Without realizing it, I was
being exposed to the best photography of the time (maybe ever?).

Margaret Bourke-White had the cover photo for the first issue of life,
but it was her photo of the South African Gold Miners of 1950 that
made me realize the power of photography:

http://www.gallerym.com/work.cfm?ID=857

I remember reading in the accompanying article how dangerous, hot and
uncomfortable their work was, but what I remember most was reading
that their eyes had no hope.  I looked at the photo again, and it hit
me.  I realized photography can convey emotion.

cheers,
frank