I've had a quick peek at the Wimberley, and at the Manfrotto geared heads.
I like the looks of the Wimberley a lot, but I am drawn a bit to the geared head, as it can be used with my 4x5. This is handy, since I will likely be using the big lens on my Zone VI tripod, since it is the most resistant to vibration tripod that I own.

Any discussion regarding the pros and cons of this line of reasoning greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone other than Manfrotto make geared heads and how smooth are their geared heads. My experience with Manfrotto heads is that they are not as smooth to operate as they should be.

William Robb