> Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 07:05:57 -0400
> From: Tom Reese <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
> Subject: Re: First attempt with auto focus
>
> Shel Belinkoff wrote:
>
> > Of course, using it that way means there's no need for an auto focus body.
> > IAC, the whole point of this little experiment is not to revert to using
> > the camera and lens manually, but to use auto focus and learn it's benefits
> > and limitations.
>
> IMO, the benefits of auto focus come into play when shooting candids and
> you have to work quickly. I don't much like it otherwise. It too often
> focuses on the wrong damned thing.
>
> Tom Reese

I found it working much better and much more reliably (at least for me)
in a spot focus mode (as opposed to the frame focus).
At least 1/3 -1/2 of all photos I've done with that camera were candids,
and I don't complain much.. I suspect, - it depends on what you are
used to.

Shel, have you been using your with a spot focus ? If not, - try
it again. Although you seem to have formed your opinion, you
might find it working better anyway.

> Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 22:48:07 +1200
> From: David Mann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
> Subject: Re: First attempt with auto focus
>
> On Aug 6, 2005, at 4:37 PM, Shel Belinkoff wrote:
>
> > Flash!?!  For a moment let's forget about all else associated with
> > flash,
> > wouldn't using it slow things down as the camera computes how much
> > flash is
> > needed, and goes through all the mechanical and electronic stuff it
> > has to
> > go through before firing?
>
> Some flash systems do a pre-fire for metering purposes, but many
> (most?) will meter during the exposure and will cut off the flash
> when enough light has been received so there will be no slowdown.  It
> works basically the same way as the LX's OTF metering, only it takes
> about 1/10,000th of a second.
>
> Before TTL flash metering became popular, many flashes came with
> their own built-in light sensors so you could either set the power
> level manually or just flip it into "auto".  Some bodies (eg Z-1p)
> can do some very tricky things with flash.  I'm not sure what the
> MZ-5n is capable of but I'm sure you'll arrive at the relevant
> chapter of the user manual eventually :)
>
> I bought some new AA batteries for my flash today, but I'm not sure
> if I'll ever use them in it...
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Dave

MZ-5n(ZX-5n) is capable of TTL flash (and works fine with it,
at least better than *ist DS does) with the TTL-capable flash
(I've used it with AF 500 FTZ).

AF 500 FTZ  and some other external flashes has a built-in red spot
focus assist light that the camera uses for focusing in low-light
situations.
BTW, when I am talking about low light, - I am talking about really
night time, dark concert venues, etc.

Igor