Hello Shel,

Two comments here.  First, you are using an AF camera that has a
liveable viewfinder - not great, but ok by AF camera standards.  That
means that it is possible to MF with the camera.  Some of the AF
cameras have such lousy finders that you are pretty much stuck with
working with the AF and the imprecision that you have discovered.  I
remember going through all the pics that my niece did on one of her
paid shoots - she is a wedding/portrait photographer by trade.  She
was shooting a Nikon D1 at the time - fairly high end body and I was
surprised at the large number of images that had the focus just
slightly off - pretty much the imprecision that you see.  It wasn't so
noticeable unless you blew the picture up to an 8X10 or so.

Second comment - for me, I only ever use AF when I know that I can't
do quite as well manually focusing - there are only a few occasions
when this occurs and I know exactly what they are.  So mostly I
manually focus and don't worry about the AF.  It does mean that right
near the top of my list is a viewfinder that works well for manual
focus.

--
Best regards,
Bruce