On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 17:47:13 +0100, Cotty wrote:

> On 11/8/05, Juan Buhler, discombobulated, unleashed:
>
> >Uh, why would people using $800-$1200 DSLRs and people using film
> >cameras so naturally go for a $3000 DSLR?
>
> Because they could save as much again on film, processing (and maybe even
> printing) costs?

Two years ago, I shot 38 rolls (36 exp each) at one event.  By the time
I'd bought the film for about US$ 4.50 a roll, and had it developed and
scanned to CD at about US$ 10.00 a roll, I had US$ 550 just in the film
and development.  And I hadn't yet scanned (at home) the decent shots
at 4000 dpi and archived them to CD (didn't have a DVD writer then).
So, based on that, it'd only take me four events to break even on an
*istD plus 16-45/4 lens, two 1GB CF cards, and, maybe, a medium sized
"image tank".

TTYL, DougF KG4LMZ