On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:08:58 -0400, P. J. Alling wrote:

> Without taking into account computer upgrades and software
> cost the you could shoot 250 rolls of Color film with processing,
> (assuming a $12/roll for film and processing) for the cost of the
> $3000.00 DSLR.  Assume shooting 1 roll a week on average you're
> talking about 5 years to make that money back.  If you have to
> change systems and get all new lenses you are looking at a break
> even time that gets much longer. Economics isn't the reason to
> buy the camera. Add in printing costs and it makes even less sense.
> There are other reasons to change to a DSLR.  But money isn't one of
> them.  Not for most people that is.

Well, for me the math is a little different.  My computing needs for
other purposes mean my systems are already more than capable of
handling the load and will require no upgrading.  I'm already partially
digital, so you have to factor in the more than US$ 900 I spent on the
film scanner. I already have Photoshop and a photo printer.

So no computer-related costs come into the equation.  When you factor
in the time and hassle of doing the 4000 dpi scans of the
decent-and-better film shots, the math works out in digital's favor
very quickly.  Add in the "instant turnaround" and digital wins, hands
down, for me.  It's simply been a matter of having the free capital on
hand to make the investment.  That time is almost here ... I should
have an *istD and 16-45/4.0 and accessories (memory and "tank") within
two months or so.

TTYL, DougF KG4LMZ