On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:21:08 +0100, Cotty wrote:

> All broadband means (and I am no techie) is 'large bandwidth' in terms of
> data it can transmit. That data can be voice or it can be computer
> communications data.

Well, that's what it means in the common vernacular.  Amongst
communications engineers, it has a different, and very specific
meaning, namely an information carrying RF signal that's modulated onto
a carrier frequency and is frequency bounded.  The "opposite",
baseband, refers to an information carrying RF signal that has
frequency components from DC (0 Hz) to, effectively, infinity,
consuming all of the RF spectrum available on the transmission medium.
At least that's the deal if I correctly remember my commo engineering
training from long ago.

TTYL, DougF KG4LMZ