John Munro wrote:

Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

With regard to the D/DS bodies, there has been a lot of polarized discussion of it. Some love it, others hate it. I've seen both good and bad results from it.

It is large and heavy. I saw a lot of chromatic aberration in some sample exposures I was sent by my friend in England. Paul Stenquist's comparison pictures between it and the A24/2.8 demonstrated the A24/2.8 to be a much better performer at nearly all apertures.

I don't know the K24/2.8. If it is the same optically as the A24/2.8, I'd stick with that or go for the FA20-35/4 AL if you want autofocus and this focal length. I have one of the A24s as well, prefer that over the FA*24/2.

Godfrey

Godfrey, that's interesting what you have to say about the FA24. How did you tell it has "a lot of chromatic aberration"? I'm curious, for I have both lenses you speak of, namely the FA20~35 and FA24. I'd like to know your technique for detecting the chromatic aberration, so I can see if my lens(es) is(are) as poor as the FA24 you describe. Due to an assignment I had, I had some 40x60 inch ilfochrome prints made from Kodachrome 25 I had shot using the FA24 and the FA20~35. The prints were grainy, of course, but the FA24 prints were far sharper than the prints from the FA20~35.

Was/is yours an FA*24, or just an FA24?
Godfrey prefers an FA over an FA*, for some reason...
Do you?

keith whaley

(In fact the prints from the zoom were not acceptable to me or the customer at that degree of enlargement - they were acceptable as 20x30's.) My FA24 has made many, many 16x20 b&w prints that are tonally excellent and which exhibit very good sharpness in my opinion. I assume my standards may not be as high as others, but I've never received any criticism of my final prints that dealt with sharpness. I'm not sure I'd recognize chromatic aberration, but one aspect of it I've been told is that it blurs the image at the plane of focus due to a lens with chromatic aberration characteristics changes the focal length of each color's wavelength. If a lens can produce sharp images at the amount of the aforementioned enlargement I'm inclined to say that is an acceptable amount of chromatic aberration; nevertheless, I look forward to hearing what you have to say so I can detect the chromatic aberration characteristics of my lens(es) - thanks in advance for helping me with this!

- JM