----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Stenquist"
Subject: Re: colour problems with ist D in combination with studio lights

Shoot RAW and set your color temperature and hue during conversion. I do all my studio work in RAW. It's the only way to get it absolutely right without a lot of fuss. To make it easy, place a white object somewhere in the shot, and use the eyedropper to set color temperature. You can just clone out the white marker when you process. If you must shoot jpegs, set your white balance manually. See your *istDS operator's manual for instructions.

I set up a RAW conversion action specifically for my studio lights. I didn't think of putting a white card into the scene, I just adjusted till it looked right on the screen.
Thanks for the tip. It's something I should have thought of myself.

If the lights are consistent output (I've seen some that are all over the place....) it should be OK to take the white card out after your aperture setting exposure and carry on. I don't use a flash meter in the studio anymore, I use the histogram on the camera. I'm pretty comfortable with my lighting ratios now though, so I don't need to meter every light anymore.

William Robb