Obsolete - 2. Outmoded in design, style, or construction: an obsolete locomotive.

This is the definition that we are probably talking about here.

I would add that its no longer "useful" or "usable". For a camera such as the *istD, this would happen when you were no longer able to:

1. retrieve the images.
2. use the images.
3. repair the camera
4. if a professional, make money or compete with the images

1 would happen if the card type became obsolete and your card(s) broke. and/or the usb interface was no longer supported. 2 would happen if RAW, jpg, or tiff became obsolete and you were not able to convert the images from your camera to something useful.
3 would happen if they no longer made parts for your camera and it broke
4 would happen if the norm for money making or competetive images standardised or demande images of a certain quality or technical specification, and your camera did not meet it. I.e. if the standard became 10mpix native with 14 bit resolution, you would be hosed with your 6.1mpix 12 bit images.

rg

Shel Belinkoff wrote:
As the time approaches for my purchasing a DSLR, the comments about these
cameras becoming obsolete keep running through my mind.  As a user of older
film bodies, which don't become obsolete and which continue to make good
pictures and use a wide variety of lenses, it's hard to consider that in
six months or a year a new DSLR will have become "history."

It seems that, unless there's a camera malfunction, these new
techno-marvels should continue to make decent pics for years to come, yet I
keep hearing about how models just a few years old (or less) are dated and
need to be upgraded.  Am I missing something?  Is it just the techno-buffs
who are saying this - those who must have the latest and greatest, or are
there hidden issues, like software compatibility, lack of peripheral
equipment (such as a memory card type being discontinued), and things of
that sort?  Maybe I've answered my own question.

What's the reality of getting 10 years of use from now current Pentax DSLR?

Shel