I think 36x36 or 38x38 is pretty much what the highend digital digital backs
for the Rollei or Hasselblad are using. You get that for $10-20K. Of course you
also get a true 16bits per pixel.

BTW 38x38 millimeters is pretty close to a mounted Super Slide from 127 film or
cut down 120.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"

Toralf Lund wrote:
Since the "full-frame" discussion re-emerged yet another time earlier today, I thought maybe I'd ask, how about a 36x36 mm sensor? Wouldn't that be the "ultimate" size for a 35mm body and lens? I mean, the elements being circular, surely the lens should handle the same size along both axes?

Of if you simply like rectangles, how does 31 x 36 sound? (Same ratio as 6x7, more or less...)

- Toralf