David,

If the manual recommends against it don't use them. There were a number of people on the list a few years ago who had the auto focus motor in their MZ-5n's die and all of them had used the type of battery specifically mentioned in the manual that they shouldn't use. Someone said that it gives them better autofocus speed on their DS, I'd be wary of that as it means the motor is being fed more current than it is meant to have and may die at some point as a result.

I'm heading to Hong Kong some time in the future and plan on taking: *istD FA50f1.4, DFA16-45, FA100f2.8macro, Sigma 55-200, AF360FGZ, 1X4GB & 2X512 cards (and buy another 4GB if I can find a cheap) one and a Fujitsu P1120 laptop (really small).

 Leon

http://www.bluering.org.au
http://www.bluering.org.au/leon

David Oswald wrote:
I'll be leaving on my trip to Hong Kong and the Philippines in about three weeks. I've stocked up on memory cards ( Three 1GB cards, one 512mb card ), but I'm dissatisfied with how NiMH batteries seem to hold up in my *ist-DS. I get a day's worth of shooting out of them if I don't use the flash. I guess that's ok; I can bring a portable charger with me. But it would be nice if I could just bring some long lasting CR-V3's with me. I may still have to lug a little charger around but at least I can get (hopefully) a few days use out of one charge.

Are the rechargeable CR-V3 batteries lithium? Are they as long lasting (or nearly so) as the non-rechargeable type? I noticed that they're specifically not recommended in the manual for the *ist-DS. Has anyone out there tried them, and to what level of success?

Thanks in advance for any advice......

Now I'll have to figure out which lenses and gear to lug around with me too:
SMC Pentax-DA 16-45mm f/4 AL:     Can't do without it.
SMC Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4:         Won't leave home without it.
SMC Pentax-FA 28-105mm f/3.2-4.5: Shouldn't leave home without it.
SMC Pentax-FA 135mm f/2.8:        Too nice to leave home.
SMC Pentax-FA 80-320mm f/4.5-5.6: Never know when I'll need it.

And of course I'll be stuck lugging around the AF330FTZ too, since I never bothered to send my *ist-DS in for service to its flash yet (It consistantly fires full-throttle, burning out the shots). I'll send it in under warranty when I get back, but so far, I've been too busy using the camera to be able to live without it long enough to get it serviced.

Maybe I'll even decide I can afford the FA35/2 before I go.

Dave