On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 11:15:00AM -0700, Shel Belinkoff wrote:
> An exposure every 12 seconds or so doesn't seem like much thought went into
> composition or framing ...

Once again, a rather disparaging put-down of alternative shooting styles.

For many of us who shoot motorsports, dog shows, horse shows, costume parades,
beauty competitions, etc., etc., a great deal of thought may still go into
composition or framing - just not necessarily on every individual shot.
I'll get myself into the ideal position for the shot I want, choose my lens,
exposure, and so forth.  But when it comes time to actually shoot I'll take
several shots - quite often one or more a second as each car goes across
my viewfinder (at least until I run out of buffer space). It's easy enough
for me to run off fifty exposures to try to make sure I get at least one
shot of every car in the field.

While that's probably an extreme example, there are many occasions where
the pace of shooting is dictated by external conditions - taking a slow,
contemplative approach just means you're going to miss opportunities.
Furthermore many of us have learned, by now, just what makes a good shot
with the style of photography we do most often - I find it quite easy
to believe that 12 seconds is long enough to set up a shot based on
prior experience.