In that cas, I think you are correct in guessing that it won't work. I don't put RAW or even large JPEGS on my iPod; I use it mostly for music and books, and a few photos that I want to carry around to show people. Since the iPod's resolution isn't that good, and the image is small, I usually reduce the size of photos before putting them on the iPod.

Dan

Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

I was not referring to the use of the iPod as a FireWire/USB 2.0 hard drive, attached to a host computer. I do that with mine all the time ... I keep an encrypted copy of my financial database and other critical files on an iPod as a backup in case of my systems' hard drive failing (as well as in other places, of course).

I was referring to the use of the iPod Photo as a standalone image storage device. The latest versions of the iPod Photo can attach directly to a camera and initiate the transfer of image files to its disk. However, I am not sure that it will transfer anything but JPEG files ... that is, it will not transfer .CRW, not .NEF, not .PEF, etc, RAW format files in this mode. I'm not sure about that, however, so it's something to check with the specs of the iPod Photo software before relying upon it.

Godfrey