I used to follow the car and motorcycle rags with the same religious fervor I also applied photo rags. Most that I've seen in the past several years are crap ... full of "shoot outs" and meaningless comparisons of minutiae that make no difference of any worth.

Like with camera rags, I now only buy an auto or bike magazine once in a while when I find it has articles of merit that I won't be done reading in less than 10 minutes. When it's time to buy, I read up on those things that seem pertinent and then make a round of visits to dealerships and websites.

When it comes to sports cars, well, I'd still like a Merc CLK because it's comfortable and I like the notion of a hard top and convertible in one. Older ones are now getting into a reasonable ball park. Overall, however, I'm happy to no longer be worried about high performance: my Land Rover Freelander does me just fine, and carries all the crap I toss in it very nicely too. It's also not too big to park in San Francisco.

Godfrey