Godfrey alluded in another post to the fact that there is a possibility of sensor reflection affecting an image. This hadn't previously occurred to me, but makes perfect sense.

So that begs the question; is it possible that some of what we often think we see as CA is actually a reflection off of the CCD back to the rear element, and from the rear element back to the CCD?

The CCD is a pretty reflective surface. I suppose that's a necessary evil. This is asking a question of speculation... Is there any point for camera manufacturers to investigate the possibility of non-reflective CCD's? Or is that simply an impossibility?