Hi all,

 I had the pleasure of a 5-minute play with an MZ-S last night.  To anyone who
hasn't seen it yet, don't look at it unless you can afford one.

 I'm going to echo what others have said and say that its size and weight
amazed me.  So small and light, and the body still felt really strong.

 I think the sloping top is a really good idea as you don't have to lean over the
top of the camera to check or change your settings.

 I didn't get much of a play with the AF but I was suitably impressed at its
ability to automatically pick the right focus sensor, and its ability to track
movement from one sensor to another.

 It seemed pretty easy to use but after being so used to the Z-1p it would take
a little getting used to (I really should use the K2 more).  I don't totally like the
placement of the control dial because I'm left-eyed and wear glasses, so I end
up with the knuckle of my thumb on the right-hand lens of my glasses.  This
also happens with my Z-1p, especially when I use the metering buttons on the
back.

 I also wasn't very impressed with the tiny little viewfinder but I could easily see
the whole thing (remember I wear glasses).  I didn't check the eyepiece for
plastic or glass.  The camera had been sold to someone else and I didn't want
to risk making any marks on it.

 It does sound very quiet after the Z-1p, but it didn't have film in it so the
winder only had to cock the shutter.  I would love to see the data imprinting as
well.  If anyone wants to scan a full-width film strip to show us exactly what it
looks like, that would be appreciated.

 I didn't have any time to get to grips with the exposure
compensation/bracketing dial.  I do wonder how easily the metering pattern
and film-drive-mode switches could break off.

 From what I've seen and heard I would definitely like one but the finance
department is a little weak right now, particularly if I buy the A*300/4 I'm
looking at.  I reckon this would be a great wildlife camera.  Small, light, tough,
quiet and good AF.  If only I had a long AF lens :)

Cheers,

- Dave

David A. Mann, B.E. (Elec)
http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/

"Why is it that if an adult behaves like a child they lock him up,
 while children are allowed to run free on the streets?" -- Garfield