Tim Øsleby wrote:

Don just said:

RawShooter Essentials IS free.
As far as I can see it's still Pixmantecs
only RawShooter product.

That’s what I thought at first.

I Did a bit more research on the subject. The licence agreement says this:
"4. TERM. If the Software that was distributed to you was labeled as a Trial
version, the license granted under this EULA commences upon the installation
of the Software and is effective for the longer of fifteen
(15) days following the date you install the Software or twenty (20) product
launches (the "Trial Period"). Trial version Software may include software
code intended to disable their functionality after the expiration of the
Trial Period." Blabla
And the download _is_ labelled as Trial.

The FAQ pages sais this:
"Is RSE really free? When will I have to pay? When does the trial version end? What is the catch? Yes, RSE is completely free. This is not a trial version, but a complete
application that we are offering to you for free. There is no catch, no
hidden adgenda, and no time limitation. You must supply your real email
address in order to secure the free download, and when you run the program
it will connect to the web to register the program if it has not been
registered. If you are not connected to the web, then this will produce a
"nag screen" as it attempts to register each time that it is run. Also, as a
provision of you running RSE for free, you are giving permission to send
appropriate newsletters or similar type mail to you to make you aware of
Pixmantec news and information. If you do not want to receive these mails,
please do no run our free software."

More FAQ at
http://mystic.vertexhost.com/%7Ektlaerke/forum/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/626
3/an/faq/page/0#6263

As I read these two texts, they say opposite things. They contradict (hope
that’s the correct word).
This simple minded Norwegian understands nooothing, I repeat, noooothing.

Why doesn't the program start? Do I face a strange bug, or isn't the program
free after all?

Tim
Mostly harmless (just plain Norwegian)

Never underestimate the power of stupidity in large crowds (Very freely after Arthur C. Clarke, or some other clever guy)

The first part is legal boilerplate, so they don't have to write a new EULA for each piece of software. Basicly, it states that if the software is labelled 'Trial Version' you can use it for 15 days or 20 launches.

The Second states that RawShooter Essentials is free, but you need to register and they will spam you. This means that the provision in the EULA does not apply.

-Adam