Paul,

You set up all the specifics with the workflow I presented exactly the same way you do with the ColorSync workflow. Steps 0, 1 and 2 are identical except for using the NAPP/A-RGB setting vs the ColorSync/ Generic-RGB settings. You can set up the same bundle of settings at the printer as a one-step pick as well.

Regards the question, "..is there any real advantage..?":

In seeking enlightenment with a ColorSync workflow, I did the experiment: took a test photo and printed six times as follows ...
---
Did a calibration check on the monitor with the Gretag-Macbeth Eye One Display colorimeter, generated new profile (profile analysis demonstrate it to be identical to 1 month old one for all practical purposes) and set the screen to use it.
-
Image file converted from RAW and output with 16bit per channel RGB, Adobe RGB color profile.
-
** I don't have an Epson 2200 to work with at present, only an HP 7960 for color output. The 7960 probably has a slightly larger gamut (dye inks vs pigment inks) but I suspect that Epson's profiles for the 2200 are a bit better since I know who produced them... ;-) **

Photoshop CS2 ColorSync color settings
Document profile converted to ColorSync Generic sRGB
print 1 - Photoshop controls color, HP Premium Plus Glossy paper, HP driver ColorSync setting print 2 - Printer controls color, HP Premium Plus Glossy paper, HP driver ColorSync setting

Photoshop CS2 North America Prepress settings
Document profile retained as Adobe RGB (1998)
print 3 - Photoshop controls color, HP Premium Plus Glossy paper, HP driver ColorSync setting print 4 - printer controls color, HP Premium Plus Glossy paper, HP driver ColorSync setting print 5 - Photoshop controls color, HP Premium Plus Glossy paper, HP driver ColorSmart III setting print 6 - printer controls color, HP Premium Plus Glossy paper, HP driver ColorSmart III setting
-
Results:
Print 5 is the clear odd man out. Glarey, higher gamma, yellowish cast in shadows, more exaggerated whites.

Prints 1,2,3,4, & 6 are very close under standard tungsten room light.
.. Under kitchen flourescent lighting, 1 & 3 have brighter, cleaner tones ... shadow values go a little muddy; #3 is a bit warmer in faces and shadow values. .. Under balanced 5000 deg K viewing box, #3 and #1 present closest by-eye match to screen. .. Under shaded sunlight, 1,3,6 are again very close, with #3 being a slightly closer eye-match.

My conclusion is that there is a small benefit from using A-RGB and North America Pre-Press color settings. It's probably a greater difference if you're working from a JPEG image. Here's the difference in histogram profiles from Adobe RGB (16bit), and Generic sRGB (16bit) - Generic sRGB (8bit) conversions:

  http://homepage.mac.com/godders/profile-comparison.jpg

Note the relationship of the Red and Green left-side tails in the A- RGB vs sRGB histograms ... sRGB is likely clipping a bit, it might explain some of the subtle color shifting happening in the shadow values.

The good news, of course, is that printing with *any* color management scheme that uses at least decent profiles is going to produce superior results to printing source files without color management. I converted the file to 8bit, converted profile to sRGB and output it as an untagged JPEG file. I then reopened it and told Photoshop not to color manage it, produced two more prints... Not even worth analyzing, the color balances are strikingly different from the above 1,2,3,4,6 prints and don't match the screen display very well at all.

In short, profiling the screen and using color management workflow are the two fundamental keys to getting consistent, repeatable output. As long as you're working with a decent color management workflow and tools, you'll get results that shift only by subtleties. The differences will become more significant depending upon specific printer/ink/paper printing systems. Having the OS fully color managed, as Mac OS X is, also presents an advantage in that more applications will take advantage of embedded ICC profiles and render photos with better accuracy.

Godfrey