For newbies to Irfanview, it's worth knowing that the program is very configurable (in Properties, in the Options menu, and in Display Options, in the View menu).

For instance, slideshows can be configured to start with the last slideshow you watched, or with a clean slate based on the current directory. It's worth playing around to set it up exactly as you want it, especially as it's a small program, and loads almost instantly.

John