From: Mark Erickson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2005 11:14 PM
To: 'pentax-discuss'
Subject: RE: green button wars (again)

Actually, Asahi Optical provided limited (not full) compatibility when they
switched from their screw mount to the K mount (they abandoned diaphragm
coupling and thus lost open aperture metering capability for screw mount
lenses on K mount bodies).

Regarding your desire for full aperture coupling in Pentax DSLRs, J.C., I
basically agree with you.  I wish Pentax provided full backward
compatibility to M and K lenses, too.  That said, I do not find the
confrontational gloom-and-doom all-caps approach very motivating.  Also,
since I am not a camera engineer, I can't comment authoritatively regarding
the marginal BOM cost of adding aperture-sensing mechanicals, sensor,
electronics, and firmware to an already very small platform.  But that's
another debate....

--Mark