Lets see some proof/numbers to back it up dude! I didn't claim to
know for a fact but you seem to. How many people
ON THIS LIST for example bought a PENTAX DSLR
for their very first SLR? ANYONE? EVEN ONE PERSON?
I would like to see a survey of DSLR owners of all
brands and see how many of them actually never owned
a single SLR before purchasing the DSLR.

It doesn't make sense to me because its obvious
the the true value in buying a new featured expensive body is if
you already have a large number of lenses to
utilize on it and all those lenses will become
more useful. If you have to go out and buy three or more
lenses with it from scratch the cost gets quite high ( A least
over $1000) and I doubt there are many SLR **newbies**
willing to make that kind of commitment from scratch.
Advanced photographers know its worth it but
the average newbie person looks at really nice digicams
for $200-$300 and doesn't usually make that kind
of "leap of faith" in one shot.

Its kinda like a person who grows up on a boom box
for music. They may end up with a $20,000 stereo
twenty years later but they seldom get there in
one giant step. It take years to appreciate
and learn about SLR cameras and lenses. If you
don't appreciate them you wont be willing to
pay big bucks for them compared to the really nice
digicams being sold now for a fraction of the cost...

JCO