Hi Shel,

To test the aperture mechanism, stop the lens all the way down,
hold the aperture open with your finger via the lever on the
back of the lens, wait a few minutes and then release the lever
as fast as you can while looking thru then lens.
The blades should close _way_ faster than your finger can move.
Repeat several times and I'll bet you'll see variations.
Putting it in the fridge for a while will probably make the
variations more obvious.
Remember, it's the fast closing part that counts, it has all
the time in the world to open back up.
You can always send it to "Don's house of lens repair" if you
need to. ;-)

Don (I _don't_ do zooms!) ;-(