Shel - It seems to vary depending on the service provider and the
enlargement software they'll use on your files (something like Genuine
Fractals).

For example, PixelOutpost.com (specializing in large format prints)
indicates that a meager 3MP image is sufficient for creating a 22x28 inch
print; mpix.com suggestions are a bit more conservative than that. Those
figures seem a bit generous to me, but others on the list report good prints
up to 20x30 with their pentax DSLRs. I'm getting some prints back from mpix
this week, so I'll see soon.

Of course, print quality is always subjective, but I think it really comes
down to the enlarging software.