Your post is a very poor analogy because
asking someone to read the thread is
not like asking someone to read the bible.
Yes it may be a few hundred posts or more
but the longer the thread runs and the
later he wants to join it without reading
it first the dumber it is to do so because
the chances of absolutely redundant
arguments/questions goes up dramatically if he
missed a really long in depth discussion.
Its not something I made up, its common
list/forum ettiqutte and considered rude
to do so. Here the threads arent ususally
as long or in depth were it ever becomes
much of an issue but for you to say that he
should NOT read a thread when he knows
its been a very long detailed one and
everybody should have to sit thru
and respond exactly the same way over
and over needlessly to exact same things already
discussed does not make any sense.

Why shouldn't he read it? It might take
some of his precious time?, what about
all of our time?, its OK to waste many of our time
to save his because hes too lazy
to learn about what we discussed and keeping
asking questions/making arguments that are already discussed/answered
in the thread. That makes no sense
at all. If you want to join a big thread, READ
IT FIRST, then join it. that's how it works.
Your posts will be more relevant and of much
more value than a bunch of time wasting
old stuff already discussed ad nausem.
And secondly, this duplication of multiple posts
is not just MY complaint, its coming from
many other members too. I just happen
to be the one explaining the cause of it
and the solution to reduce it...
jco