-----Original Message-----
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 12:54 PM
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: Camera engineering (was Re: Rename request)

On Sep 21, 2005, at 9:36 AM, J. C. O'Connell wrote:

> Not to say its unimportant to you because
> you are the one doing it, but I don't
> understand WHY its important to you.
> what are you doing with this EXIF data
> that you find the lack of with KM lenses frustrating
> or pain in the neck?

What I'm doing with EXIF data in my images is my business. Sorry to
not be forthcoming about it.

> Secondly, anyone who doesn't own K/M
> lenses or want to ever own K/M lenses
> shouldn't comment because of course
> this doesn't matter to you, its not
> your fine PENTAX product getting disabled
> without cause.

I own and use a Pentax-M 85/2, which I find an excellent lens.
Pentax' modern equivalent is the FA77/1.8, which I'll probably
purchase when I can justify the expense (it's not a focal length I
use very often). I find the M85/2 works very nicely on the DS and I'm
satisfied with the body's support of it for metering and focusing.

The M85 was one of four K/M-series Pentax lenses I purchased, all
rated in BARGAIN to EXCELLENT condition. All of them needed service
in one way or another, the other three I decided weren't worth the
trouble. That was even before I realized fully that the EXIF data was
not populated with several important parameters (January-February).
But I think the repair statistics are telling: I've purchased a total
of 28 Pentax lenses since the beginning of the year, 7 new and 21
used, 4 of which were K/M series. All of the K/M series lenses needed
repair, only two of the A series lenses needed repair. K/M lenses are
very old; they are not worth the money for me to repair them to the
spec I need/want.

Enough. There really is no end to this for you, is there JCO? This is
my last post on these threads, and certainly my last response to you
specifically. When I post to the mailing list in the future, please
discard the email without reading it. I will not mention you or imply
any reference to anything you've said, regardless of its nature. You
have my word on that.

Godfrey