If nothing else, I like the "retract-to-shortest size" the lenses do when fully supported -- turning the camera off while power zoom is engaged not only shortens the lens to the zoom setting that keeps it to its shortest physical size, but also focuses the lens to infinity, also another measure that puts the lens at its shortest physical size. But even the MZ-S doesn't fully support this feature, only shortening the zoom without moving the focus to infinity. Some of the power zoom lenses don't change size at all when zooming, only when focusing, so this function is useless then, on the MZ-S. Thankfully, at least, the PZ-1/PZ-1p both support all these power zoom functions and features.

Joe

The list has been consumed with passionate debates about "green button wars" and camera engineering, nobody has mentioned a MAJOR lack of support for a key feature that Pentax pioneered! What am I talking about? Power Zoom, of course! It was bad enough when Pentax released their new top-end MZ-S without supporting Image-Size Tracking, Zoom Clip, and Zoom Effect capabilities. Pentax did at least include Power Zoom contacts in the MZ-S so that the power zoom capability in certain FA and FA* zoom lenses didn't completely go to waste. Unfortunately, Pentax has fully abandoned their many FA and FA* power zoom owners with the *ist-D and *ist-Ds. Wouldn't it have been ridiculously easy to include power zoom contacts? So now I have two FA* lenses with Power Zoom motors that may never be exercised again. Am I the only voice crying in the wilderness, or does someone else out there miss Power Zoom?