If you say "most camera lenses on earth", you must assume that that is what people will think you mean. Going back 50 years we have cameras like the Brownie and the Instamatic. Not an aperture ring in sight. Going back further, the numbers are so tiny as to be irrelevant. Over any period you want to choose, as long as it ends now (and not in 1920 for instance), "most camera lenses on earth" won't have aperture rings.

I bet you'd find that the majority of K and M lenses are now in collections, and are hardly used. I personally have nine, and only the 50mm 1.2 actually gets put on a camera with any regularity. Why? Because more modern lenses offer significant advantages. So, "most 35mm SLR lenses on earth that actually get used regularly don't have aperture rings" is probably also a true statement.

If you limit your claim to all K-mount lenses, then obviously most DO have aperture rings because Pentax has been so slow to drop them. That's nice for users, but not necessarily good for business.

John

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 05:30:24 +0100, Jens Bladt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Why not count the last 50 years! And why not just limit the math to K-mount
and compatible lenses?
95% or more will have an aperturering.
(Counting all point and shoots, video lenses, security cameras etc. is
ridiculous in the present context)

Jens Bladt
Arkitekt MAA
http://hjem.get2net.dk/bladt

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: Adam Maas [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sendt: 25. september 2005 06:16
Til: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Emne: Re: Temporarily enabled with 2.8/70-200mm

John Forbes wrote:

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 23:32:25 +0100, Jens Bladt
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote:

11. Accommodating Non-A lenses (what the H... is wrong with an aperture
ring - most camera lenses on Earth have one).

That's obviously completely untrue.  How many P&S cameras have you
see  with an aperture ring?

And even if you mean detachable lenses, I doubt if that's true if you
count all lenses sold in, say, the last five years.

John

Especially considering how many EF mount lenses have been sold in the
last 15 years, all without aperture rings.

-Adam